everything seems to be better when it’s homemade. over the course of the past few years, I’ve slowly learned to love things that are homemade. whether it is my favorite snack (cheez-its), a DIY project, or a beauty product, everything homemade seems to taste better, [sometimes] look better, and feel better. in this process I’m reducing the amount of processed food in my diet, finding creativity in making our house a home, and replacing chemicals in beauty products with natural products that let my body work and heal like it is made to.
I hope for this space to be a place to log my experiments in a homemade living. and to possibly give new ideas for other to do the same.
to start, I’ll share my sunday afternoon project … a prep project for a certain sister’s baby shower in a month! I needed to try it out to see how it would work. turns out, it’s delicious.
I slightly adapted this recipe that I found on http://chocolatechocolateandmore.com/2012/10/chocolate-pumpkin-spice-cake/ . it’s the perfect combination of chocolate [sister’s favorite sweet] and pumpkin [my favorite sweet]. it’s chocolatey, moist, and has just a hint of the spice that makes fall the very best.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 8-inch cake pans.
- Cream butter in a large mixing bowl, add in brown sugar and continue to cream until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time and then pumpkin puree. Beat until well combined.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and spices. Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing on low speed. Fold in chopped chocolate. Spoon into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto rack to cool completely.